Saturday, September 09, 2006

My Communication Problems

In my Coms class, we took a survey to determine our communication styles, the results of which indicated that my communication style most closely resembled that of sedementary stones.

I am not arguing that I am a poor communicator. My ex-girlfriend can attest to that. Then again, she is a smelly pirate hooker, so let's not listen to her. Anyway, my point is, I know a lot of people who would have scored really well on that survey who I would not describe as being good at communicating.

Take my ex-girlfriend, for example. She would have aced the opennness, friendliness and non-verbal portions of the survey. Of course, this is a person who once talked for 33 minutes into my phone as it rested on the seat next to me. All I had to to was pick up the phone about every 6 minutes and say "uh huh," then set it back down. Is flooding someone else with totally worthless and uninteresting information the trait of a good communicator? I think not.

One of my roommates would have scored incredibly well on the test as well, particularly the friendliness portion. He is also a pathological liar. If you have known this guy for longer than 6 months, you know this. So every time he opens his mouth, you're wondering what percentage of what he's saying will be true. Everything he says is undermined by himself.





Out.

1 comment:

valerieh said...

so tell me, what exactly is a smelly pirate hooker? lol. i just want to make sure i never fall into that category